Drop-ins

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed May 16 11:10:59 PDT 2001

Viv--

One of my early consulting projects, pre-Open Space, was a large community
meeting.  Because the meeting fell between the primary and the general
election, several local politicians indicated their interest in being there.

A woman County Commissioner, not running for re-election, opened the meeting
with a few appropriate words about the future of the county.  I had responded
personally to each of the politicians, letting them know that we welcomed
their participation in the groups, but that none of them would be offered a
platform to address the meeting.

Several came, most left after a brief appearance.  One Congressman stayed the
whole day, went to every session, listened and took notes on what he heard,
did not try to take the microphone (which, even then, I would have opposed).
His participation seemed like a valuable addition to the day.  I let people
draw their own conclusions about the drop-ins.  Whatever happens . . .

Joelle Everett
jleshelton at aol.com