One Day OS Training

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Tue May 8 09:18:50 PDT 2001

Sharon:

I offered a couple of one-day trainings years ago, both of which I would
improve upon.

The first began with a half day of theory. Ouch! Well it was more like
theory and stories. The rest of the day was supporting one another to
manifest our dreams for using open space technology. Some of us had
experience and others did not.

The second time, I began by opening the space. I can't remember the theme I
selected. I then posted a topic called "theory and practice of OST" and
when the marketplace happened, there my topic sat in the morning slot, all
by itself. (I really did trust and let go that this would happen!)

So I offered a much more palatable storytelling and theory session, and the
rest of the day we covered the topics that participants had posted. We
stayed in one group the whole time. It had the feel of open space, to me,
and others noted that too. I don't know if anyone felt newly prepared to
try it.

---

I agree that the experience of OST is valuable. This also lets people see
how another person does the walk, sets up the space, etc. I guess now I'd
suggest some introductory stories, four hours of OST, and then reflections,
logistical details, with lots of emphasis on theme, givens, and LETTING GO
so that the organization can do its work.

Having the User's Guide as pre-requisite should really advance the level of
conversation. Good luck!

Jeff

-
Jeff Aitken
Inverness Ridge, CA USA
415.669.1924
JA at svn.net

"Material and energy throughput must be diminished, but NOT people, NOT
living standards, NOT the dream of a better world."  -- Donella Meadows
(1941-2001)