About being prepared to be surprised

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.net
Wed Mar 21 09:36:17 PST 2001

> Joelle,
>
> Send me those first graders!!!
>
> Ralph

HR DPTS SCRAMBLING FOR FIRST GRADE TEAM
SHELTON, WASHINGTON, USA
"Well, it all started when we helped this woman Joelle set up her chairs,"
said Craig Bennett, age 7.  "We did it pretty quick.  I guess she was
impressed."  Before long, this team of seven-year-olds traveled from this
sleepy Northwest town to New Jersey, where they set up the facilities for
three major conferences in a time frame previously considered impossible.

Since their New Jersey contracts, the first graders have moved on to other
projects, reorganizing several schools, re-engineering a San Jose software
company, and designing an Olympic Pavilion for the 2004 games.  "It's been
pretty fun," said Amanda Thomas.  "And it's getting better, because we're
focusing our efforts on working with other people our age instead of grown
ups so much."

The group works without apparent designated leadership and, in all its
contracts, has completed the work in under half the expected time and under
budget.  Their secret?  "Well, you have to let us run around for a while
first, and then serve a really good snack," said Thomas.  "Leave the rest to
us."