Spirit At Work - (Long)

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.net
Fri Mar 2 14:59:51 PST 2001

Hi Albert,

Welcome to "interactive status" on OSLIST!  Thanks for your introduction
(and I also appreciate your separation of two subjects into two messages).
Thank you for sharing your interests...one day soon let's start a thread on
the connections between OST and design charettes...

A few comments about your "Spirit At Work" questions, which are all
excellent "no-single-answer" questions:

> What concerns would there be of having a mix of previous attendees and new
> participants and is the theme stated appropriately to engage both, that is
> broad enough so new participants do not feel left out yet focused enough to
> have a sense of continuity.

I think that the old/new mix will enrich the energy, and that the theme is a
good one for this group and circumstance.

> The sponsor is concerned about the following issues as her desired outcomes:
> Where do we want to go from here?
> What will be the leadership model?
> What resources do we possess that we can leverage for our mutual benefit and
> growth?
>
> I suggested the following ways these issues could be addressed.
> One is to state these expected outcomes in her opening talk .
> Another would be to let the group address these in the OS process.
> And thirdly I suggested that if they were not addressed by the group she
> could present these "organizational issues" as her own topic.
> What are your thoughts on this? How else could these concerns be addressed?
> If they were givens how would you present them and would you include mention
> of them in the invitation?

My recommendation is door number two, and also door number three.

I've learned from my mentors that the sponsor's introduction is best kept
brief.  To me, these issues of concern for the sponsor do not sound like
givens - items that are non-negotiable in the creative work of the group on
this day.

If I were in your shoes, I would encourage the sponsor to act as a
participant in the event, and ponder deeply during the opening, as the
others will be, what has heart and meaning to her.  She will arrive at a
decision about whether and what to convene.  I would encourage her to
consider that SO MUCH HAPPENS in Open Space that the "answers" to her
questions will unfold and become clear in their own time, including in the
days and weeks following the event, and that the patience to allow this to
happen is a powerful orientation for a person wanting to work with the
energy of the group.

> The sponsor would like to keep things simple and suggested that the reports
> be handwritten though we may not have adequate time  or facilities for
> copying and distribution of reports for everyone when they leave. My thought
> is to have the reporters word process their reports at home or work after
> the close and email the reports to a central site for electronic
> distribution.

This is tricky.  My experience is limited...but, having used handwritten
reports a couple of times recently, I have a fresh appreciation for the
magic of the computer "newsroom."  Most people are happy at a keyboard and
value the chance to revise their reports.  The "news wall" is easier to
accomplish with computers.  The Book of Proceedings is much easier to
accomplish and to distribute electronically.  The "buzz" around the newsroom
is fun.  I'm tending toward having hand-written reports always being an
option for participants if they choose, but having the computer newsroom
being the main thing.

That being said, I have been content with handwritten reports at times, and
have appreciated the opportunity for artistry they present.

I caution you against inviting reports to come in later.  It's an energy
problem.  The OST experience is so intense that most people need to rest and
change gears afterward.  Working on reports at home after the closing circle
is done is like pulling your own teeth.

> It would be great if one of the participants offered to create
> an E-groups list for future conversation. Should this be the responsibility
> the sponsor to provide the E Forum for follow-up?

In my experience this is a nice offering for a sponsor to make.

> My thoughts are to have 3 sessions of an hour and fifteen minutes each with
> one hour for open and marketplace, forty five minutes for lunch and an hour
> for close. What type of close would you think is appropriate for this type
> of meeting and would you adjust this schedule?

See the convergence comment below.

> My understanding is that a desired outcome would be for participants to be
> able to contact each other and initiate follow-up meetings either planned
> events as a large group or spontaneously in smaller groups. I imagine that
> whatever happens it will be an extension of the Open Space itself. I have
> thought to present it as such in the closing, a continuing of Open Space
> into an ever expanding circle bounded by spirit.

A nice invitation to articulate, I think.  Also a nice time to invite people
to join the e-forum if one has been set up.

> I also had an idea to develop a "Convergence Form" which would be handed out
> before closing or maybe at lunch time, which would serve as a checklist for
> participants to walk through a personal convergence with a format that would
> ask them to list the 3 top discussions they wanted to follow-up on in a
> prioritized fashion with a place for notes, contact information and any
> agreements / commitments they had made during the day. This would be a
> quickie do it yourself convergence with personal action steps for
> participants to capture the momentum of the day. Participants could then opt
> to share this information in the E-group if it did form.

I am clear in my own practice about not inserting or adding anything for the
group to do or think about once the space is open.  Whatever type of
convergence I am using, I have an afternoon news or talking circle of some
sort to complete the standard OST session, and then I introduce the
convergence process.

How to design a good convergence for a one-day event is a wonderful
challenge.  I recommend that you read the convergence thread on the meta
network if you haven't already.

My own advice for your situation is this.  I have SO enjoyed the power of
inviting people to write personal commitments and share them before action
planning that I would not use the convergence form in the way you describe,
because having it happen somewhat "around the edges" would not in my mind do
honor to the invitation.

...I have written and deleted three different paragraphs about the closing
circle, but I am not confident about any of them.  I don't know what I'd do!
But I'll be pondering it...(or it will be pondering me...)

A note on your invitation:  I would put the invitation part first, and the
history paragraphs afterward.  Invite first, explain later!

> Thanks for your patience in reviewing this detailed request for feedback.
> The topic is perfect for me. It has deep meaning for me and there is nothing
> better I would like to do than Open Space on this topic. This is a great
> opportunity to bring Open Space to Indianapolis and to share this work with
> friends and associates. All of you on the list have contributed to my
> learning and this is the next step. I feel my spirit soar as I do the
> planning and contemplate Opening Space. It is for me - Spirit at work.

Very, very, very exciting!!  Please keep us posted.

Chris

--
S   P   R   I   N   G   B   R   A   N   C   H

Opening the Space for Inspired Collaboration
P.O. Box 8234 / Asheville, NC 28814 / USA
Phone: 828 225-0007 / Fax: 828 225-0303
http://www.springbranch.net / chris at springbranch.net

F   A   C   I   L   I   T   A   T   I   O   N