First OS Event for the Scottish Parliament

Eddie Palmer EEddiepalmer at cs.com
Tue Mar 6 00:36:07 PST 2001

Dear all,

This first event was held last Saturday, March 3rd at one of the universities
in Glasgow, Scotland.
My colleague Kerry is currently writing it up, and so I will post a longer
account later this week  - we are very busy at present!
We had 88 attendees, drawn from a wide range of public, voluntary and
community bodies from all over Scotland, helping to form the next two years
of agenda for the Social Justice Committee. So the event was to raise issues,
not action points.
The committee of MSPs and their administrative staff were delighted with the
results, the depth of discussion, and the range of subjects.
There were two one-hour sessions in the day, one produced 9 groups and
subjects, the other ten groups. Each of these 19 groups decided on three
subsidiary issues, so 57 in all, and in addition, a phenomenon never
occurring before with us, the whole group posted 12 further issues they would
have liked to work on, if there had been time.
I will report on the results, but it was enough for this one Committee to say
that they might repeat the event in a rural area of Scotland, and also as an
event longer than one day.

Eddie Palmer
Open Futures Ltd
Edinburgh