Local currency OS

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Fri Jun 29 03:45:55 PDT 2001

Dear Laurie,
two things:
I have gotten into the habit of starting the event with a break. If
the event is to begin at 9:00am, the break is from 8:30 to 9:00.
There will be coffee, tea, mineral water, one kind of fruitjuice,
vegetable finger food with a simple yoghurt dip and fruits of the
season. This way people get a little of something to drink and nibble
and are arriving in a way that seems to make for a more relaxed
beginning pretty close to 9:00am.
I always have a period before the closing circle where people read
the proceedings. Either (normally) there is a book of proceedings or
the reports from the sessions will be posted in a "gallery" (if it is
a huge crowd, there will be 2 galleries with all the reports strung
out along walls). The reports are enlarged to double lettersize (A3),
so its a little easier to read.
Sometimes, when the os is very short, there will be no reports but a
gallery of whatever people produced (usually flipchart sheets are
available in the workingspaces that people write or draw on...so
these are strung out as a gallery).
In the reading phase people can also ask questions, make additions,
etc.
In this way the closing circle is then really reserved for reflection
and closing.
And a third:
I have had people always come up with what had heart and meaning for
them, regardless of the theme. My experience is that a broader
planning group tends to come up with a theme that is closer to that
which people really want to work on. Also, when the sponsor opens the
space on a theme that really interests him and when he is passionate
about what this event is all about there seems to be more focus.
Keep up the good work,
greetings from Berlin
michael

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:14:55 EDT, Todd Saddler wrote:

>Dear OS Friends,
>
>Earlier this week my husband Todd Saddler facilitated an Open Space which I
>organized for our local currency organization, Ithaca Hours.  Our thanks to
>David Koehler, Ralph Copleman, Eddie Palmer, Joelle Lyons, Everett Blake
>Mills, John Engle, and especially Harrison Owen and Laurel Doersam for their
>helpful advice and encouragement a few weeks back as I was beginning the
>planning process for this event.

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK