Reflections on a challenging OST event (long)

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 18 17:13:13 PDT 2001

Joelle --

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on Lisa's Dilemma (in hindsight) --

Ah.  Relearning.

Open Space is also for me a spiritual practice -- I know what you mean.  The
constant and daily practice of letting go, of not getting in the way, of not
solving when there isn't a problem...

> I think that it is equally possible that the participants,
> without preconceptions about what ought to happen, were basically feeling at
> home in the space, knew that the sessions would happen, so took the
> session-announcing time to take care of their own need for food or a few
> minutes with someone they especially wanted to talk to.  Since the ensuing
> session worked really well, I doubt that they were "acting out."

I totally agree with you.  I think they were fine, in *spite* of what I did to
*help them* and mess with the process.

> Having to change rooms, or take down materials and put them back up again, or
> having an undesirable room, are much more a problem for the facilitator than
> for the group, who are likely to take it in stride.

I really enjoyed hearing everyone else's comments on changing and silly rooms.
Turns out that as we heard in others' messages, the group is okay -- they fix it
and p-u-s-h the space open however they need to.  This was just another example.

I laugh, I blush, I lick my bruised ego, I love myself up for the letting go I
finally figured out to do, I learn and learn and learn.

How wonderful to be among one's peers and community when it looks as if I am
working alone (!).

Take care, dear (and see you in Vancouver, I hope?)

Lisa

--
L i s a    H e f t
Consultant, facilitator, educator