Theme brainstorm

Sharon Quarrington sharonq at pdesigns.com
Wed Jun 6 01:15:44 PDT 2001

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to this question.  Funny how
complicated things seem until you go back to basics.  After some
reflection I realized that the problem I was trying to come up with a
theme that would lead people into discussing what *I* wanted them to
talk about - the essence of OS.  A grand goal for sure but *my*
agenda, not theirs.  It was my desire to control the outcome that was
interfering with the theme.  One more lesson in letting go.

I did feel that it was important that the group not spend time
discussing the mechanics of OS - they have the book and we would be
spending time on mechanics in the afternoon.  I was happy for them to
discuss anything except the mechanics of OST.

As many people suggested the theme needed to connect with the passion
of the group - so we sent everyone coming to the session an email
asking them why they were coming.  The responses were very aligned -
people has heard of /been to/read about OS and wanted to be able to
facilitate an OS in their organizations.  Their passion was related to
bringing OS into their Org's.

So the theme became "Issues and Opportunities for Introducing OST into
our Organizations" with the "given" that they were not to discuss the
mechanics of Open Space.

We'll see how it goes.  Thanks again for all the good advice.

Sharon