Theme brainstorm

Charles 'Buzz" Blick buzz at nwlink.com
Sun Jun 3 12:20:43 PDT 2001

I have had VERY bad results in doing training about Open Space using either
a made-up theme or a "stock" theme - like "what is the desirable future of
such-and-such?"  The sessions turned out to be boring and artificial -
because they had no real relevance, passion or commitment for the
participants, (or me).

I frequently need to remind myself that all large group facilitation
processes work best if the people involved select the theme (a
representative "design group" works well here), have varied and important
information to contribute to the discussions, have the ability to do
something useful with the results they produce and have some real passion or
urgency to work on it.  If any of these elements are missing, the session is
at risk.  I have found that helping the participants develop a really
compelling theme statement is an art form in itself.  I learn something
every time I do it. I hope that this is helpful.

Harrison talks much more eloquently about this in his books than I have
here.

All the best!

Buzz

Charles (Buzz) Blick
Buzz Blick - Consultation, Facilitation and Training
606 Laurel Drive
Everett, Washington USA
Phone: (425) 252-8279
Fax: (425) 252-7650