making the most of a very short OS

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 1 07:47:10 PDT 2001

Dear friends and colleagues in Open Space,
With great gratitude to my colleagues here in Sweden, we have moved another few steps in our thinking together about the Open Space Organization. Of course a key part of the Open Space Organization is frequent use of Open Space Technology. And going back to what we really all know inside, deep inside, remembering how to be human beings together in this great Open Space we all live in. I learned a new phrase here that I like so much I wanted to share it: when we work with the Open Space Organization, we use Open Space Thinking and Open Space Wisdom. A whole way of thinking. And some added, a whole way of living. I liked that so much. I also learned that in Sweden, children are raised with Open Space. They are taught the basic givens, the field in which they are to grow, develop, learn, and then they have the freedom to make choices even at a very young age, knowing that they must take responsibility for the consequences of their choices. Sound familiar?

I am off to Siberia from here. Elena Marchuk, a woman with a big heart and great dreams, has pursuaded me to come to do a four day OST training. I am happy to volunteer my time. And I thank the OST institute of the US for contributing my airfare from Stockholm to Novisibirsk and back. I ask of the rest of you, who choose to do so, to include us in your prayers as we see what happens and are prepared to be surprised.

Blessings,
Birgitt