Moving into the future together -- Day 2 design

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 12 15:48:33 PDT 2001

Hello, friends.

I am consulting for some folks who are going to facilitate an Open Space
in their corporation.  About 50 people from four work groups will attend
two days of Open Space offset.  The issue is (I am putting it crudely
and in broad brush-strokes here) that the company is moving forward at a
faster pace, and it is now time to make sure that everyone is clear
about that.  As individuals do they choose to continue together into the
future at that pace or is this not going to work for them (meaning that
this might not be the right place for them now that it has changed).  I
am thrilled to see these facilitators and their company making a time to
honor the past and identify the present so they can move on into the
future together.

For Day 1 (roughly 8:00 in the morning to 5:00 or so at night) they may
be holding about two hours for storytelling, grieving, sharing wonders
and history.  Then they will go into Open Space for the rest of the
afternoon based on a theme as yet to be crafted.

(this group is a combination of people energetic and already into the
new rhythm and then also those who are not -- so some people are already
'there' and doing things and some are not yet -- any recommendations for
a theme which encompasses both kinds of people is welcome).

For Day 2 (roughly 8:00 in the morning to 3:00 or so in the afternoon)
the design is still unfolding.  Action items may be something naturally
arising out of those 'with the rhythm' who took the opportunity of
working together and discussing new things on Day 1.  But I suspect for
many of the participants there will have been percolation (as I call it)
overnight about their feelings regarding change -- they may have slower,
more internal 'action items' yet to be realized.  Personal commitments
convergence might be rushing things for these people, I suspect.

What are your recommendations and experiences regarding such an event
honoring, grieving, saluting and identifying change and one's own
feelings towards these changes?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Lisa

--