an OpenSpace on Peace in Chechnya? On reforming the prison system?

Raffi Aftandelian brynza at online.ru
Sat Jun 23 08:47:59 PDT 2001

Dear friends,

I have started doing "cold calls" in terms of doing presentations (or
planting seeds) on OST with organizations that I know of but who
probably don't know me well.

One possible OST meeting i would really like to see happen and see a
sore need for is on "Creating Peace in Chechnya" and draw together all
interested folks. I am wondering what kind of previous experience exists
out there on analagous topics and in presenting on such a huge issue and
in leading an OST on such a huge issue what are possible pitfalls?

I will gain some experience in leading OST meetings before taking this
on.

And also recently I met with the director of an organization working for
reform of the prison system here in Russia. And I realize that there was
no way I could interest him in OS. "We don't have the time, nor the
money." In fact, I never got to even explaining what OS is (I did give
him some literature on the subject, however). Your thoughts and ideas
regarding presentation?

thanks,
raffi aftandelian