OS and the war in Chechnya

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Sat Jul 28 05:10:01 PDT 2001

At 02:10 23-07-2001, Raffi Aftandelian wrote:
>Dear friends,
>As an American living in Russia doing peace work here for several years,
>I have the fortune of going back to the USA 1-2 times a year. And it
>never fails to strike me how what goes on in the rest of the world does
>not even seem to enter the mental radar screen of people I know, who I
>consider progressive, and who I would consider activists.

I think one can have a "limited view" of OST as being only a
"technology/methodology" for having fruitful meetings or one can have a
"broader view" of OST as a tool to create Open Space Organizations,
Open Space communities, Open Space families, Open Space schools,
Open Space lists - in the limit, an Open Space World.

As I see it, OST is a tool to open (and share) paradigms and perspectives
about anything in the world - from Chechnya war to the question of who
sells the weapons to all the wars in the world, from the wars to global
weather changes or to the increase of social exclusion in the developed
and under developed countries...

And of course also and always about the way we can OPEN the limited
mental models we and others are still using to understand the world - be
them West centered, North centered, or any-other-particularism-centered.

Nothing that relates to human beings must be out of consideration
in the dialog among human beings or out of consideration in Open
Space, I think.

The way I see this list, is an ongoing Open Space about everything
that can interest us as people concerned with "opening the space"
for what has meaning to humanity -- with passion and responsibility!

Every time a new thread is posted, a new break out session is convened.
The way people sign (or not) to that session is answering (or not) to
the post.

I welcome any post like yours, Raffi, which contributes to help us see
a part of human reality one tends to forget. Thanks.

Regards from Southern Europe

Artur