OS and the war in Chechnya & "+"

Elena A. Marchuk marco at mail.nsk.ru
Sat Jul 28 16:45:15 PDT 2001

Hi dear All,
Hi dear Raffi,

I'm back from my Conference in Norilsk "Women vote for the new era in Polar
region (2-11th of July) where I work with Yellowknife (Canada) collegues as
well as with my collegues from Novosibirsk, helping facilitate the process
of marketing traditional northen crafts and arts as well as the talking
about rights of women ... with OS at the last 2 days for the half of the
participant stuff (because there were no big enough room for everybody... -
it was no a good part, I think, as some participants were interested on
other workshops as well and were going to be there and there ... but it's OK
for the principals and not OK for the better learning for them to work in
different way... but it is also OK... whatever happens....)

and from summer school for the young programmeurs (computer science) with 80
students of different age 10-20 (may be) where I volonteered to provide
"Communication skills" trainings - several days with 1,5 hour timing, though
I was supposed to have a rest - that was my husbands work, but I felt like
providing some training for this children, who prefer to "talk" to the
computers then real people...

the trainings were very popular, so my husband tried to cut them twice
"because of the great popularity" - a joke! - thinking that that was the
most convinient time for other lectures coming on weekend and so .... but
failed with the attendence... and that was not much great for the trainings,
but OK... as usual,

but all this is so small with the problem which Raffi raises....

Raffi,
I don't know if we can solve anything with OS in such a big problem, which I
know only by TV, and it is not that I'm saying we should not provide OSs, it
is good for dialogue and at least posting some thoughs on news.... yes, I
think it would be good saying something about the results of the "dialogue"
and may be some decisions, the problem I mean is the what would be next -
who will make this decisions happen - there is no "sponsor" not good and
even not a bad one to whom we could apply...

the problem is not only with us and Chechnya refugees, so I don't even know
where we could start, may be you are right - just start. But starting we
should think of the way ahead ...

sorry, this is my quick thought and I wish you good luck, and will cross my
fingers for your great ideas and activities

best wishes to you

elena