open space with political party in Sweden

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Wed Jul 25 07:36:30 PDT 2001

Dear friends and colleagues,
I asked Eiwor Backelund whether she would like to have her story
distributed to the oslist. She told me to go ahead adding that she
had learned a lot lurking and reading stories on os in the list.
It is these kinds of stories that I feel the open
space-community thrives on. One day soon it will be commonplace
everywhere to hold party meetings and conferences in open space.
Imagine the six world summits on the evironment had used open
space-technology.... I am sure just a couple would have produced more
tangible results than what the Bonn summit finally agreed upon.
Hugs and greetings from summer days at the Baltic Sea
michael

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:03:17 -0700, Eiwor Backelund wrote:

>Dear Friends,
>Here is the story of the big meeting I facilitated right after our
>training in Berlin. I wrote down my thoughts right afterwards but then I
>left it for some time to think it over again. One thing I thought of is
>that this process is so strong that it works even when the cirkumstances
>are not the best. It is like making a cake, the first time you follow the
>recipe very carefully but after some times you know where you can´t make
>shortcuts and where you can. I think one thing of great importance is,
>like we talked of in Berlin, the facilitator´s state of mind, that your
>selflove is bigger than your selfcriticism, that you as a facilitator can
>see the competence and knowledge in every participator and that you have
>love for other people and want to share it with them. So here is my story
>to share if you like. I also want to share with you a book I got the other
>day from my special friend Sharon in Saskatchewan. It is Soul Stories by
>Gary Zukav. It gave to me many insights about myself.
>Hope you have a great time.
>With love.
>Eiwor
>

>The OST meeting with the Centre Party in Sweden.
>
>The Centre Party, one of Sweden´s smallest political parties, had been
>working with their party policy for almost two years. They had used
>different unconventional methods and about 12.000 members had
>participated. Now, at their annual congress in June 2001 they were ready
>to decide about their new policy. Still they wanted to give their members
>one last chance to change things. And they wanted a method so all members
>visiting the congress could participate if they wanted to. Noone could
>tell in advance what issues the participants wanted to discuss so the
>OST-method was the only one I could think of that didn´t control the
>issues.
>
>My purpose was to get many people in touch with the method and let them
>feel that they were taken seriously. The givens were that the decisions on
>the changes had to be made the usual way. So the reports were handed over
>to 5 groups, one for each chapter in the policy. Their job was to write
>the changes into the policy. Then the party committee took over and
>decided what changes they could agree with and presented them to the
>congress. This is the usual way decisions on the congress has to go and I
>don´t think anyone disagreed with that.
>
>We started on Saturday evening at 6pm. It had been a long day, we always
>march in a parade at noon, listen to some speaches and gather with
>friends. At 5 pm was the opening of the annual congress with some speaches
>of the party leader and others and some entertainment. We were sitting in
>a sports hall. All the chairs were placed around the scene, but more
>square than in circle due to the fire department that had their rules and
>I didn´t dare risk anything with so many people´s lives. Then, because of
> [...]

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK