Fw: A Search for LOs and Metanoia - Revised Plan

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Thu Jul 5 09:47:32 PDT 2001

Dear friends:

This is to inform you that (with a big delay...) I began today a series
of posts that I will send to the list on learning organizations weekly and
will be discussed there. As OST will be refered I think this can interest
some of you.

I am sending above the revised Plan. At the end of it you can see the adress
of the archives of the lo-list. I will not send to the OSLIST the next posts,
except, eventually, the ones where I will refer to OST ans OSO.

Regards

Artur

-------------------------- Fw message

Dear LO-learners:

In LO25939, A Search for LO's and Metanoia, dated 20/JAN/2001,
http://www.learning-org.com/01.01/0103.html , I have presented
a plan for a series of future mails.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to start these posts until now. As I
have now some free time, I will try to send one post per week until I
finish the plan or my free time disappears again :-((

To help the discussion in the list I will give a different subject to each
mail. But, to facilitate the organization of the Archives, I will link all
these mails to LO25939.

[Host's Note: Art, the best would be to have same first few words of each
subject line be the same... Say, "LOs and Metanoia -- specific topic"
  ..Rick]

As time has passed, I have changed somehow my plan, which is now as
follows:

Part 0  Plans
                0.1.    Original Plan
                0.2.     Revised Plan  01/06/01 (this mail)
                0.3.     Final Contents

Part I  Some Preliminary Subjects
         I.1. Polanyi's Tacit Dimension
         I.2. Against the Technical Rationality of Positivism
         I.3. Reflective Practice
         I.4. "Good Enough" Research Methods

Part II  Two Conceptions of LO's
         II.1. Arie de Geus's "Learning Companies"
         II.2. Peter Senge's "Learning Organizations"
         II.3. Short Comparison of the Two Models

Part III  The Metanoia Concept
         III.1. Notes on Metanoia
             III.1.1. Related Concepts
               III.1.2. Alberoni's Perspective
         III.2. LO's and Metanoia

Part IV  Learning Disabilities  Individual and Organizational
         IV.1. Model I vs Model II  Theories-in-use
         IV.2. Action Science
         IV.3. Model I and Kolberg's Findings on Moral and Ethics

Part V  Ways to Facilitate Metanoia and Enhance Learning
          V.1. The Need for a "Profound Paradigm Shift"
        V.2. Harrison Owen's "Open Space"

Part VI  Conclusions

Summary of the Contents of each Part

Part I  Introduction

Four posts - Polanyi's "Tacit Dimension" was covered with post LO25698
http://www.learning-org.com/00.11/0135.html and the discussion that
followed. Schon's criticism to the Positivist Technical Rationality will
follow; I now consider the presentation of Schon's concept of "Reflective
Practice" (closely related with the previous subject), also important and
that will be the 3rd post. I will end this Introduction with a reference
to the Management literature and research, proposing some guidelines for
"good enough research" in that field.

Part II  Two Conceptions of LO's

Three posts the Models of "Learning Companies" of Arie de Geus and of
"Learning Organizations" of Peter Senge, followed by a short comparison
and reflections: some of my own, some based on a recent interview with
Peter Senge

Part III  The Metanoia Concept

Three posts - one for some miscellaneous concepts, one to refer Alberoni's
perspectives on metanoia and the "borning state of movements", and a third
one with some reflections on LO's and Metanoia.

Part IV  Learning Disabilities  Individual and Organizational

Two posts on Argyris and Schon's Model I / II of behavior and the
consequences of the socially dominant (Mental) Model I as the main cause
for learning disabilities, especially in what refers to double-loop
learning and/or when threatening issues are discussed; a description of
"Action Science" and how it has been applied. I will try to apply Model I
/ II Concepts to understand Kolberg's perspectives on moral and ethics

Part V  A way to facilitate metanoia and enhance learning

Two posts on Large Groups Intervention Methods and specially on Harrison
Owen's "Open Space Technology", and why OST can be one way to facilitate
the emergence of metanoia and support for the Learning Organization. The
concept of "Open Space Organization" will be also referred.

Part VI  Conclusions

I hope that we will be able to take some conclusions after all these posts
and the corresponding discussions on the list. But please don't ask me
right now what those conclusions will be :-)

The first of these posts follows immediately

Regards to all of you

Artur

artsilva at mail.eunet.pt

[Host's Note: Artur, I'm delighted that you are coming back now to execute
your plan. I'm looking forward to these!  ..Rick]
--

"Artur F. Silva" <artsilva at mail.eunet.pt>

        Learning-org -- Hosted by Rick Karash <Richard at Karash.com>
  Public Dialog on Learning Organizations -- <http://www.learning-org.com>