Whatever happens... (was: Dear OSLIST)

Rachel Bolton rbolton1 at home.com
Sat Jan 13 13:05:56 PST 2001

Hello All,

In reading the discussion about "Whatever happens is the only thing that
could have" I think that there may be a point that we are overlooking.  In
essence, the statement is true.  We can't change the past, and there is no
use in looking back and wishing that we could have.  This gives people the
opportunity to recognize that what has happened has happened and that it is
OK.  But I think that it places an incredible amount of responsibility on
people, not that it takes away our free will or responsibility.  What it
says to me is that whatever happens is the only thing that could have and
that I, or we as the case may be, made the choices and decisions that led us
to what happened.  And that the choices we are going to make are going to
lead to future actions.

I think that the laws and principles are open to interpretation.  It is up
to us to interpret them in a way that works for us.  And if you feel that
you need to change the wording in order to find peace within yourself about
it that you should be able to do so freely.  But at the same time, there
does need to be structure and the law and principle seem to work pretty
well, based on what I've seen :).

Rachel Bolton