Whatever happens... (was: Dear OSLIST)

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Jan 10 22:52:46 PST 2001

artur--

Thanks for your questions and comments.  Personally, I have never taken
"Whoever comes are the right people" and "Whatever happens is the only thing
that could have" in a very broad philosophical sense, but have considered
that they are true within the specific concept of the particular meeting.

The people in the room are the right people in the sense that they cared
enough to show up, and by choosing a particular session have indicated some
passion or concern or expertise about the topic.  My observation in
organizations, especially volunteer organizations, is that their programs are
not so much shaped by philosophy as by who is willing to show up and do some
work.  Not right or wrong, but an observation about reality (from my unbiased
;-) perspective, of course).

I don't take "Whatever happens is the only thing that could have" as an
expression of fatalism, but as an acknowledgment that in the course of the
meeting we will do what we can, given the time, resources, and our capability
to take action, maybe in a new direction.  It reminds me of a statement I
heard early in my training for working with organizations:  "Begin where the
client is.  Not only is this philosophically the 'correct' position, but it
is the only place you can begin."

The most interesting comment I've seen about the 4 principles came from
Angeles Arrien, who states that they are statements about spiritual
detachment--the ability to work hard on something without being attached to a
particular outcome.  This rang true for me; I find that facilitating Open
Space is very closely related to my inner struggle to stop trying to control
everything in the world.  Spiritual work, and it doesn't come easy to me.

Thanks, artur, for raising the question.

Joelle