story: learning circles OST (long)

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.net
Tue Feb 20 14:23:18 PST 2001

Thanks for the feedback.

(use caution when mentioning tomatoes to Chris Corrigan.  Time zones are no
issue - he's got a serious arm.)  ~0

My conclusion about the hybrid preamble issue:
Harrison asked, what would have happened in the absence of prescribing group
behaviors?  My answer is that, yes, more topics would have been posted, and
the event would have had a better lift-off.  My two-page preamble did close
the space some - in fact, I felt it happening at the time, and got nervous,
which didn't help.

So I ask myself, What to do, since the preamble was very important to the
sponsor?

What I conclude is that the heart of that preamble was important enough to
the sponsor that, for this event, it should have been communicated as a
"given."  Just as some organizations have givens about the budget or the
proposal approval process, this sponsor had a given that this event was
about learning circles, so people should try to stay grounded in their
direct experience, instead of engaging in abstract debate.

I could have said that in two lines, instead of two pages!

And, next time around with this organization, this given may no longer be
necessary at all.

With gratitude,
Chris

--
S   P   R   I   N   G   B   R   A   N   C   H

Opening the Space for Inspired Collaboration
P.O. Box 8234 / Asheville, NC 28814 / USA
Phone: 828 225-0007 / Fax: 828 225-0303
http://www.springbranch.net / chris at springbranch.net

F   A   C   I   L   I   T   A   T   I   O   N