Post Soviet countries

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.net
Mon Feb 19 14:09:55 PST 2001

Fascinating discussion, about expectations set for the roles of "king" and
"subordinates."

I am reminded of a story Birgitt Williams tells about an OST event with
upper-brass military in Canada.  One of their givens for the event was,
"Democracy ends at 4:00 on Thursday."

It seems to me that we must use the power of inviting the sponsor to
determine the givens, and thus to clearly delineate the size and nature of
the open space.  Perhaps clients for whom shared leadership is alien and
threatening would be willing to try OST on a "small" issue with clear and
strong givens.

It may be a long metaphorical leap to OST work in post Soviet countries, but
as a public school teacher, I often received students in my new classes who
were totally unaccustomed to having any authority in the structures of their
education.  In these cases, I learned not to open a "big" space at first,
but instead a "small" but fully authentic space.  Careful debriefing with my
students gave me the information I needed to know what "size" of space was
appropriate to open next, as a good match for their emerging capacity.

Chris

--
S   P   R   I   N   G   B   R   A   N   C   H

Opening the Space for Inspired Collaboration
P.O. Box 8234 / Asheville, NC 28814 / USA
Phone: 828 225-0007 / Fax: 828 225-0303
http://www.springbranch.net / chris at springbranch.net

F   A   C   I   L   I   T   A   T   I   O   N