Opening nutrient spaces

Peggy Holman pholman at msn.com
Fri Feb 23 17:32:32 PST 2001

Thank you for the great reflections on illusions and leading change.  Having
read such wonderful thinking about that subject, thought I'd bring up a
completely different issue I've been mulling lately.

It has to do with the ways in which the pre-work for opening a space affects
what takes place during and after.  I have a specific situation that raised
a general question for me.  I'll offer both.

The general question is what affects the nature of the space that is opened?

A little background
Preparing for an OS runs the spectrum for me.  I've had great OS's that
began with a short conversation with one person in which the theme was
formed in minutes:  "the issues and opportunities for x".  At the other end
of the spectrum, the theme is developed by a group that is a microcosm of
the people involved and weeks of deep reflection are used to frame the theme
and the aspirations for what is possible.

Harrison has said that a space opens the moment the conversation about it
begins.  He also says OS always works.  I believe both of these to be true.
What may vary is the quality of the space.  I think perhaps the quality of a
space may be a bit like tasting a wine.  For most of us, it's tough to tell
the quality because our palettes simply aren't trained enough.  The more I
do OS, the more I do notice there are big differences in the spirit of the
space.

So what makes the difference?  And what role does the preparation for
opening the space play in this difference?

The specific situation that prompts the question
I am involved in convening a group of experienced OS practitioners with the
idea of creating an ongoing learning community.  (You'll hear more on this
very soon.)  There are two different approaches that have been suggested for
getting started.  One is simple: pick a date and place and issue the
invitation.  No  convener or a co-convenor.  Or rather, everyone is a
convenor.  If there is energy for more, it will happen.

The other end of the spectrum is based on observing what is happening with
something called Spirited Work.  In essence, it's a
learning community that gathers 4 times a year -- once a season -- to
examine "Spirited Work".  The group meets in Open Space and uses the 4
archetypes (Warrior, Healer, Visionary, Teacher) from Angeles Arrien's The
Fourfold Way as it's framework.  This was originally convened by 4 people
who gave quite a bit of thought to what they were doing, what it meant to
them and what their aspirations for it were.  They've begun their third year
and this is the finest space I've ever been part of!  The group is a mix of
folks who have been involved since the beginning and some who are just
experiencing OS for the first time.  The questions are rich, the
conversations deep, the energy of the space quite profoundly rich in spirit.
It is also a permeable space as this group has really come to understand
that we live in OS all the time.  This quarterly gathering is simply part of
a larger flow.

My instinct is part of what has shaped the quality of this space is the care
that was taken in creating it by the 4 original holders of the space.  They
went into it hoping to create something nutrient and infused that quality
from the beginning.  I think there is also something about having 4
co-convenors made a difference.  The space started multi-faceted and
collaborative.

So, as I contemplate beginning something that has the potential for ongoing
life, these two approaches might lead to very different spaces.  Or not.
What do you think?

Peggy

P.S.  I've copied Anne Stadler and Peter Donaldson since they are among the
4 co-convenors of Spirited Work, so wanted them in this question.

Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006