Faciltating and convening, convergence, etc..

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 22 10:49:03 PST 2001

Jeff wrote>
Back to my original point: I have only convened sessions in an OST I
facilitated when the work was ALSO MY work, and even then, with GREAT
care.
I'm part of a team of activists, for whom I did two days of OST last
year.
My primary role was to hold the space; but on the second morning, with
everyone well into the process, I posted a session on my own passion for

our activist work.

Here, I think, is a lovely example of both/and.  No, Jeff usually
doesn't convene and Yes, he HAS done it as well.  Great care went into
the decision to convene while facilitating.  I suggest that there is no
purity, as we sometimes use the term.
We know that our mere presence affects the field.  We can only open the
space by holding a bounded space.  Pure open space has chosen to bind
itself with material manifestation.  Hmmn ....
The way we hold or bind the space is a matter of intent (thank you
Birgitt).  Conscious choice is involved and choice always means that
something else, in this moment, is not chosen.
What is our intent - to the best of our knowledge?  Deeper, deeper - to
fear or love?
Humble offerings from one less experienced ... I am definitely open to
creating a larger field of meaning for us all.
Glory