Accessibility To Training

David Koehler Nsdmk at aol.com
Fri Feb 9 09:03:11 PST 2001

Dear OST Friends:

A discussion took place at the Open Space Institute - US board meeting (via
telephone) last month that is worth sharing.  In fact, I took on the
responsibility to convey this discussion.  It had to do with accessibility to
OST training programs.  I began the discussion by asking the question, "Why
are the training sessions for OST usually so expensive?"

As we talked about this issue, a more important question came out, which was
how to make training opportunities more accessible for people everywhere.
The concern I have is, if we recognize a need to be more inclusive in
bringing people into the OST community, then how do we provide more access to
training?  And cost is certainly one of the barriers we must overcome.

The issue of inclusiveness was one of the prominent themes of the Berlin
OSonOS this past fall.  So the challenge is not just for any single country,
but a challenge worldwide.

OSI-US has made a commitment to providing help in making OST more available
to people and groups everywhere who may need assistance.  In our membership
renewal letter that will soon be emailed out, we have stated the following
guidelines for granting assistance:

"We are setting aside funds to offer assistance for a variety of things
related to open space.  Whether it is providing books or helping to secure a
facilitator to do training, we can be of help.  The goals developed are as
follows:

· To support under-served areas
· To support involvement in open space
· To leverage recipients action and resources with OSI-US actions and funds
· To have commitments from recipients to share the stories of their OST
experiences."

We would ask that anyone who can help us improve upon this effort, please do
so.  Raising and dispensing funds is just one idea for making training
opportunities more accessible to people everywhere.  What else might we be
doing?

Thank you,

David Koehler
Member, OSI-US Board