Self-Organization is What Consciousness (Spirit) Does

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Sat Dec 29 11:03:29 PST 2001

Thanks, Ralph!

As I was pondering this, I realized I didn't quite hit the nail on the
head.

It isn't that Open Space allows for expanded consciousness, perhaps, but
that it invites us to more fully express our current level of
consciousness. (And what a gift that is!)  It is unlike many other group
processes in that it doesn't erect artificial barriers to our full
expression of our present consciousness.  (I get it, Harrison.... we are
invited to more fully express our Now, our current state of
consciousness.... to the extent that we express it and share it, we
individually and collectively expand.)  The experience might lead us on
a spiral of expanding consciousness, and it might not.  That part is up
to each of us to choose.  What Open Space offers is simply the
invitation to more fully express who we are in the present moment.

Is that closer?

This piece about taking another look at how we think about conflict is
also important.  There is a growing profession developing around this
question, of which I am a tiny part.  I don't hear OS practitioners
talking much about conflict resolution, but I wonder whether there are
some important lessons for conflict resolution professionals in the work
you're doing.  I think the answer is yes, but I haven't quite figured
out what the lessons are.

Julie