AW: "The map is not..."

Visuelle Protokolle mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Thu Dec 20 12:56:02 PST 2001

since we work as mapmakers, drawing land- and seamaps for companies and
organisations on a  metaphorical level, we look at this discussion with
pleasure.

We love to recommend the beautiful book of James Cowan "A Mapmakers Dream".
In 16th-century Venice, a cloistered monk works on the dream of his life, to
create a perfect map. In the process, the boundaries of his world are pushed
to the extreme, raising questions about the relationship between
representation, imagination and the nature of reality itself. He gathers all
his informations from explorers, travellers, pilgrims and merchants who
continue to visit him, but finally finds out:

        "I now know that the visitor I have been  expecting all these years, the
one in whom I have placed so much faith in providing me with the answers I
so fervently sought, is none other than myself. I am my own informant, the
only person capable of expressing the innate knowledge that resides in all
of us. In me lies all the knowledge of the world, since it is my world alone
that I wish to explore".

Doing that, while listening to others, what could I add?

Reinhard