The meaning of Story telling

Nino Novak nino.novak at tuebingen.netsurf.de
Thu Dec 20 10:22:04 PST 2001

On Dec 17 2001, Michaël Molenaar wrote:

> Any ideas what
> is happening on communication levels when story telling takes place?

Michaël -

for me human actions always happen in two spheres. The "real" one, call it
objective or "territory" or grounded or anything like that - and the
"spiritual" one, which may be called the subjective or the "map".

Now, story telling is the act to join these two spheres. To fit action and
interpretation. To learn about what is just going on to happen. To make
things discussible.

Therefore, story telling for me is the introduction of the meta level: It
enables us to create ideas about what is happening. To create maps.

(But please use this view with care - for I'm rather a story listener than a
story teller ;-)

kind greetings
Nino