Transforming Education

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Dec 18 21:27:44 PST 2001

Hi there:

Time to weigh in as a parent who is homeschooling my kids and
participating in the evolution of an Open Space learning centre for
children and families here on my little island off the coast of Canada.

Harrison Owen wrote:

> - What if schools were formed as consciously self-organizing systems.

Indeed it is how learning occurs at schools, in spite of all the imposed
structure.  Students end up learning when the can spontaneously organize
around their passions.

See John Taylor Gatto.

> - What if all participants (parents, staff, and students) were given
> equal, democratic power and rights within the school?

See the Sudbury Valley School in Massachusetts, and the book by Daniel
Greenberg on the same.  Some are very successful.

> - What if students of all ages were recognized as responsible for
> their own learning?

That is the basis of unschooling, a philosophy championed by John Holt.
Any of his books will tell you the story, especially Learning All  the
Time.

> - What if this meant that there were no mandated classes, tests, or
> other externally imposed requirements?

Many unschoolers find themselves recruited to places like Harvard and
Yale on the basis of a portfolio of work rather than a transcript.  The
Ivy league registrars have led the way in recognizing the inherent value
of an education that eschews standardized testing and home/unschoolers
are heavily recruited by these schools....if they choose to go there!

> - What if the only requirement for graduation is to defend (to the
> entire school community) the thesis that you are ready to take
> responsibility for yourself in the outside world?

The alternative middle school here on my island, Island Pacific School
has a major thesis requirement which is passion/responsibility driven.
They have other academic standards, but the masterwork is the really
interesting thing that they do.

> There are a few schools that operate in this way aound the US as well
> as other places on the planet. What is your reaction to this way of
> organizing education? What concerns arise in you? What excitements
> arise? What questions occur to you?

I parent and homeschool in Open Space, as do others.  in Vancouver at
OSonOS there were a few discussions about this too.  Check the
proceedings at http://www.openspaceworld.org for more.  My friend Brent
Cameron ( http://www.wondertree.org ) lead a session in Vancouver on
this stuff too, and a few of the OSonOS participants visited more with
him.  Perhaps they have something to share?

I have a few links to resources at
http://www.chriscorrigan.com/mamasalon.html for you to explore.

Cheers,

Chris