"The map is not..."

Ralph Copleman ralph at earthdreams.net
Tue Dec 18 19:39:32 PST 2001

> I have usually found that both are true..
>
> The map is NOT the territory
>
> And the map IS the territory.
>
> OK Ralph -- I know you are a contrarian, and also a jokester  -- I am just not
> sure which one of your pathologies is operative here.

Maybe both?

Contrarian?  Me?  Oh, ho, how you make me smile.

Look at it this way.  There is the territory.  And there is the map.  To me,
the map is the subjective understanding in my head of the "real" territory,
the allegedly objective reality out there.

Clearly, the map, in this case, and the territory, whatever it is, are not
the same.

On the other hand, I create my map (inside me) as a referential framework.
Since I cannot accurately re-create the territory inside me, and since I
have to act on my map as if it were in fact the territory, my map becomes my
reality, hence, the map is the territory ­ at least the territory I've got
to work with.

Ralph