Self-Organization???? OS just one of 18?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 13 04:39:23 PST 2001

At 09:59 PM 12/12/2001 -0900, Julie Smith <jsmith at MOSQUITONET.COM> wrote:
>This conversation reminds me of some things I ve read recently about and
>by Meister Eckhart, a 14th century theologian.  Eckhart talked about
>letting go and letting be as an essential aspect of spirituality.  Eckhart
>s description of letting go and letting be, as well as his linking of that
>choice with spirituality, seems to parallel some of the conversation
>here.  Here are a few excerpts.
>Thus what letting go does is to develop sensitivity and openness to the
>spirit and this receptivity results in letting be&. Letting be is an act
>of respecting the autonomy of all things.  It designates the attitude of a
>human who no longer regards objects and events according to their
>usefulness, but who accepts them in their autonomy.  Thus a good synonym
>for letting be might be reverence.  Letting be is an attitude of reverence
>for all things that allows them to be themselves and God s selves. This
>represents one more reason why the path of letting go and letting be is
>not one of putting down anything or any event.  It is rather to enter so
>fully into events and things that we reverence all that is there.  This
>reverence is a gentle letting be.  What is being spoken of here is to meet
>with gentleness, in true humility and selflessness, everything which comes
>your way.

Nicely put, Julie. Occasionally I am asked prior to a training program (or
even during) -- If Open Space is so simple, why do we have to spend several
days working on it? My answer, which may be a little bit flip, goes
something like, "Well, there a few details to be considered, but mostly it
is about learning to let go. And that seems to take a lot of time for most
of us. The harder we try, the behinder we get."

Harrison
>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA