Gift of Chautauqua

Alan Stewart alan.stewart at senet.com.au
Fri Dec 28 16:43:24 PST 2001

G'day All

Harrison's recent revisiting of Phoenix Rising prompts me to let you know of

a forthcoming event for which I welcome support.

I have been invited by Lisa Kimball to be a guest in a virtual conference called

a Chautauqua. Harrison was one of her previous presenters.

Lisa is well known internationally as a pioneer and world leader in getting the

best out of groups. She wrote:

"Hi Alan!  A colleague shared your paper on "the conversing company" with me

which i love!  I was wondering if we might entice you to be a guest in a virtual

conversation in our online Chautauqua? "

You can see more about it on her wondrous website Group Jazz http://www.groupjazz.com

It is scheduled for mid January.

Background to Lisa's invitation:

In May of this year I presented a keynote at the 1st World Conference for Systemic

Management in Vienna. www.isct.net

My paper on what I call "The Conversing Company" is currently available at

www.pnc.com.au/~lfell/stewart.html

I speak to people who wish, and are ready, to lead organizations in which everyone has

a chance to shine, about:

. dividends to be obtained through investment in processes which foster conversation

among people within and across traditional boundaries.

. cogent reasons why this way of being and doing is critical to success in a highly

competitive world.

. an organisational culture in which people make time to converse in a spirit of "We are

here to treat each other well" and "We're in this together."

. conversation being the fundamental means by which knowledge is constructed and

learning happens.

. this culture being created and sustained when sufficient attention is paid to processes

which promote conversing. These, in my experience, include OST and World Café www.theworldcafe.com

. how such an organization functions day to day.

. the immense power and potential of this kind of organization to bring out the best in

people - what a great place in which to work!

This 'transforming' (rather than transformed; is there such a thing?) organization would

have features of what I sense Harrison would characterise as an 'InterActive Organization'

and of what Birgitt describes as 'The Open Space Organization.'

Participating in Lisa's Chautauqua could be a great opportunity to alert many people world

wide about the substantial benefits to be gained from fostering OST and other conversational

processes in business, government, NGOs, community, educational, aged care and other settings.

Incidentally you may be interested to learn that there is a multitude of Café Conversations

happening globally in the month of January. See http://www.theworldcafe.com/ComConversation.html

I will keep you informed of developments on the Chautauqua and would welcome any support

you give to make the most of this remarkable gift.

With best wishes for whatever you and your communities bring forth in the new year.

Good to converse, with love

Alan

Adelaide