Max/Mix et al (embedded image is safe)

Winston Kinch kinch at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 22 17:44:05 PST 2001

Ho Harrison! (you even got the speling right!).
Season's Greetings to all on the list!

This is the Old curmuddgin speaking. And I know it is Christmas and Hanukkah -- so I should be very charitable. Glowing with the season, as it were. But every time I hear about Mix/Match it reminds me of Running Rats in my college Experimental Psych Lab. Those rats just couldn't do it until we programmed them -- set the course as it were -- Mixed and Maxed. Yes, I know that very reputable folks like Kathy Danmiller (of Strategic Real Time Change fame) and Marv Weisbord (Future Search fame) all do it. And they are friends. But that doesn't make me like it any more. I ain't a rat. And most Homo sapiens aren't either. And actually I don't think the rats like it either. Why is that we presume that good folks seriously engaged in a topic of their passion can't get together in new and useful ways? For 15+ years we have seen it happen every single time space was opened. So why the necessity of running rats (aka people)? Like sitting them down in tables of 8, carefully selected for the right MIX/Match? Maybe because the Space isn't really open????

Harrison