The meaning of Story telling

Micha ël" "Molenaar michael.molenaar at WXS.NL
Mon Dec 17 11:27:54 PST 2001

Some days ago there was a discussion about the difference between OST and
other large scale intervention methods (what are we doing anyway by
labelling it with the term "large scale"?).

It seems to me, that the discussions on this OST forum gives me more
than "just discussions". maybe it gives a clue what is meant
by "storytelling".

Anyway, what I am really interested in, is: why doing the story telling. I
know it is a hobby of Harrison and I think I could spend a lot of evenings
listening to him telling stories, but in my opinion it's not that only.
Maybe it has to do with language, because the word "stories" in Dutch means
nothing special; it can also mean "gossip" or thing like that.
Birgitt makes a strong point that storytelling is very necessary, so even
prescribed, when you do OST on something that has to be done in the future.
What I have understood, storytelling is basic in those cases to "get your
feet first on the ground" (these are my own words).

So I think that with "Story Telling" is meant the stories you are likely to
tell around the campfire. Then, to me, it's something more than just
stories, because there is fire and there are stars above us which remind us
how big and small we are at the same time. So at the campfire there is a
communication at another level then just "stories".

Can some of you give me some experiencies of story telling? Does it go
wrong when the client doesn't want to do story telling? Has someone ever
refused to do an OST because of the absense of storytelling? Any ideas what
is happening on communication levels when story telling takes place?

Greetings, especially for Birgitt now on her tour trying to become an
American citizen. (does George Bush know she is coming?)

Michaël Molenaar Tilburg - Holland
E-Mail: michael.molenaar at wxs.nl