Theme vs Topics

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Tue Aug 21 03:40:33 PDT 2001

Dear Dave,
your first question was answered in part by John Dicus. I also would
say nothing when an issue is offered, in fact I dont even think about
the content of stuff as the group works on that part.
In addition, I don't smile and dont sit but stand outside the circle
standing a way off so its clear I am not involved or concerned, and I
dont assist or hold the microphone.
There is a small detail I make a point of during the introduction
and that is to invite "issues" not "topics" (in German this would be
"Anliegen" rather than "Thema"), this seems to connect better to the
"heart" and "meaning" or the "passion" and "responsibility" part of
what wants to come to the center...perhaps it has an influence on
"General Theme" and issues offered. But what is clearly the case is
that if you start controlling os you invite trouble.
I remember Harrison once inviting us to an OT with the remark that
regardless of what the Theme is, people will offer what has meaning
to them...so for that OT there was no Theme as it always had been and
of course it worked just as well.
Your other question about all the work that is put into wording the
theme intrigues me.
Over the years my tendency has been to put in more and more work into
the planning with the sponsor or better yet with a planning group. In
that work, the sponsor or group invests a lot of energy in defining
the theme and discussing who all should be invited and what the
outcome should be. And I find that if the planning group is set up so
it reflects in a way the composition of those invited to the event
the theme tends to get more concrete and more action oriented, it
seems all more focused.
Finally, as Birgitt Williams keeps pointing out, the kind and depth
of preparation and work ahead and after the os-technology meeting
influences the degree in which the inherent open space-nature of the
organisation surfaces.
So working hard on the proper wording is one of those venues.
Greetings from Berlin
michael

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:04:37 -0600, Dave Cox wrote:

>Dear OS List members:
>
>What advice do you have when topics are initiated during agenda
>setting, particularly the first one out of the chute, that are
>clearly not related to the stated theme?
>
>In a recent experience I decided on the spot that's where the passion and
>responsibility lie, so I said nothing. I let everything be posted. (Some
>topics were related to the theme.) But this is somewhat troubling. I have
>asked myself, "Why work so hard on coming up with the proper wording
>for a theme if it gets ignored in the end?"
>
>Thank you for your help.
>Dave Cox
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK