Who is the Client?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 30 11:50:39 PDT 2001

At 11:18 AM 4/30/01 -0400, Harrison wrote:

>  << Those are guaranteed! I will tell folks that enabling the group to
>become
>  << inspired, innovative, creative, responsible, charged up, turned on
>etc...
>  << is a no-brainer. Living with such folks afterwards can be a little
>  << difficult. Choose.

>Doug. wrote:

>Yes!
>
>And so we scare off the majority, while challenging those who see the way
>life is.
>
>But maybe that is what life is: a scary challenge. We can sleep or we can
>throw something into the reactor and see.

I am not sure that "scare" is the right word -- although that may be the
impact. For me it is much more about being straight forward, informed
consent and all that good stuff. Actually, given what we have all be
taught, and perhaps what most people continue to believe about the nature
of organization, it is quite remarkable that anybody chooses to do Open
Space the first time around. Counter-intuitive, strange, impossible -- are
all words I have heard. And yet folks still give it a try. Even the most
unlikely folks. Like this am I got a call from the office of the
CFO  (Chief Financial Officer) of a major Oil Company. He wants to Open
Space for his organization around who they are and what they do. A Numbers
Guy -- for crying out loud.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive