Who is the Client?

Murray Willmott mwillmo at atrax.net.au
Mon Apr 30 05:03:45 PDT 2001

Harrison and Joelle,

A simple thought. I've always seen the answer to be "both"...but perhaps at
different times in a process.

Firstly we have the sponsor as a client..to walk through the options and to
decide if OS is the best response to their situation..even to help clarify
the situation.

If we do proceed, then for the time the space is open, the group is our one
and only client. It is for them we open and hold the space for as long as
is required. The sponsor/original client may not even be there but if s/he
is, they are but part of the group since status counts for nought unless
the group decides to bestow it. Our sole role as facilitator is to protect
the space and it's the group's to do with it as they wish.

Then once the space closes, we have the sponsor to service again. To
debrief, suggest what might be appropirate next steps, perhaps to run
subsequent OS meetings and even to continue some other form of consultancy
with the organisation. Once again the client may change but the bottom line
answer for me has always been in response to the question "to whose
situation am I being asked to add value?" Hopefully the answer will not be
"nobody's"!!

Cheers,

Murray