OS and AI

Don Ferretti dferrett at placer.ca.gov
Fri Apr 27 10:06:36 PDT 2001

I'm still in the afterglow of opening a very fine Open Space earlier this week in a youth conference around the theme: Integrating Asset-Based Approaches Into Life, Work and Community so I'm sure my vision is tweaked. But, this conversation about OS and IA, reminded me of something I read by David Thornburg (Brainstorms and Lightening Bolts: Thinking Skills for the 21st Century) . He talks about how the "new science of chaos and complexity emerged to explain self-organizing systems," and how to understand this in terms of organization we need only to change or metaphors from physics to biology, and he makes this point:  Physical metaphors lead to complex rules that result in simple and simplistic behavior. Biological metaphors lead to simple rules that result in complex behavior. When I apply this way of looking at techniques used in directed facilitation (even if it is as a neutral) and the type of "facilitation" that is called for when opening space. I can see the distinction in action. To my mind, Open Space is biological, and it is refreshing and resilient. And, as you all know, when things are cooking, people naturally use all kinds of processes that we have named as techniques, but they don't know that, they are just engaged in heart-felt communication, learning and action.  What is the fewest words one can say to open space: Theme, four principles, one law and an invitation to pursue your passion.

Don