Open Space and Leadership in German and Spanish

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Fri Apr 27 06:23:44 PDT 2001

At 12:58 27-04-2001 +0200, Michael M Pannwitz wrote:

>Dear Harrison,
>I am one of those that care about open space spreading in the
>German-speaking realms. And I am not pleased with the word by word
>translation of the User's Guide that was done by Klett-Kotta. In fact, I
>consider it a barrier to open space spreading. At the same time I know
>that nothing, not even a horrid translation, can stop open space. It has
>been here and everywhere else in the world all along.

A bad translation can make a lot of dammage. At least, can delay the process
for some time. Probably, it will also create in a certain country/language
a group of misleaded facilitators that will confuse the marketplace.

>Last, a piece of advice from my colleague John Webb that I also embrace:
>only those publishers and translators that have been in open space get a
>license to translate and distribute the User's Guide.

Not sure about publishers, but I completely agree in relation with translators.
A "professional translator" can understand the words, not the dynamics
(or spirit) of Open Space.

Please always choose a translator (or a reviewer) with Open Space experience.
And with some ethical principles. Is it ethical to accept to do a translation
if one doesn't fully understand the subject?

I will try to get the Spanish version to check the quality (*).

Harrison, if or when you plan to accept a Portuguese version, even if I
will not have
the time to translate it, I will be glad to do a pre-publishing review (for
free).

I have on print a text in Portuguese on "Fundamentals of Open Space" (19
A4 pages).  It is not a "translation" but a "vision" of OST. If anyone
needs it
for projects in Portuguese speaking countries I will be glad to send a digital
version (for free) or the printed  version for the price it costs to me (half
price, I think).

By the way, I have also on print my first text on "Interactive Methods for
Information Systems Planning and Development" (combining OST with
strutured IS methods). I can also send it in the same conditions.
And I profit to thank Lisa for her very detailed revision directly on
the Portuguese version (the only that exists by now...) (*)

Regards

Artur

(*) - please note that one that understands Portuguese can read a Spanish
version and vice-versa - as Lisa proved ;-)