Open Space and Memorial Services

Doersam, Laurel Laurel.Doersam at caphealth.org
Thu Apr 19 09:16:22 PDT 2001

Thank you for this beautiful idea.  My father died last week, and we
honoured his wishes by forgoing a memorial service . . . rather, we held a
reception with family and a few close friends.  It was indeed a very open
space type of event, albeit not formally.  My one sister who adhers to a
formal religion said a prayer, one brother read a poem, the rest of us told
stories and, yes, jokes and even a few ribald anecdotes . . . in short,
everyone honoured Dad according to their beliefs and perceptions.  We
naturally drifted into a circle.  But the missing part is the book of
proceedings . . .what a wonderful gift that would have been for Mum.  And
it's not too late to piece it all together.  Of course, our closing circle
was very poignant . . . a very tearful, large, long group hug that turned
into a long session of cradling each other, rocking and grieving with the
people we know best and love most fiercely in the world.  In the future
(when next we have to meet together to celebrate a life), I'll remember to
formalize it and get the book of proceedings!  Thanks for the wonderful
idea.

Laurel.