Seeking advice: mixing youth & adults at OS + video

Doersam, Laurel Laurel.Doersam at caphealth.org
Mon Apr 2 14:14:52 PDT 2001

Hi Susan,

I'm a little late into this discussion, so forgive me if what I have to say
has already been said.  I recently did a session that mixed youth and adults
. . . and despite some hestitation early in the day, the spirit of Open
Space prevailed and the kids spoke up loudly and clearly.  In fact, many
youth in the closing circle stated their appreciation that adults had been
present to hear and validate their concerns.  The trouble with closing space
AT ALL (by having "kids only" sessions) is that these sessions rob the kids
involved of experiencing the magic of adults listening with open eyes, ears
and hearts.  I think the process itself (the principles and POWERFUL law of
two feet) takes care of making the space safe.

I have experience in videotaping an Open Space event.  Last year our health
region developed our Philosophy of Care in Open Space.  I was a
cofacilitator of the event, and was also in charge of working with a
professional video crew.  We taped sessions as they happened, and folks were
so engaged in the discussions, and the crew so non-intrusive, that folks
really didn't notice they were being taped.  Anyone we DID tape, however, we
approached afterward and asked their permission to use the footage for a
video of the event.  We augmented the discussions by finding a small group
of people who we followed throughout the event and interviewed before,
several times during, and after the event.  The 15 minute video we produced
was quite wonderful, and we are using it to help roll-out the Philosophy of
Care throughout the region, to illustrate how we came to develop the ideas
and to demonstrate that the process was inclusive and the participants
representative of our region.  Everywhere it is shown, folks want to
experience Open Space.  The plan is that we take the OST process on a
travelling road show, so to speak, to explore the questions, issues (both
personal and professional practice) and opportunities that arise as we begin
to live our new Philosophy of Care.  That way people can really experience
both the process we used and the sense of community that emerges from an
Open Space event.  Pretty exciting stuff.

Best of luck!

Laurel.

Laurel Doersam, RN, MA
Employee Wellness Coordinator