Washington State Arts Commission wins big grant

Peggy Holman pholman at email.msn.com
Sun Apr 29 08:23:50 PDT 2001

I am so excited I could leap from here to the moon!!  Kris Tucker, Executive
Director of the Washington State Arts Commision just sent the note below.
It's the part about the role of the strategic planning process (all in OS)
in selection that really made my heart sing.

Tra la!
Peggy

April 27, 2001

Friends:

I am very pleased to report that The Wallace-Reader's Digest Funds has
awarded WSAC $500,000 for a five-year project to broaden arts participation
in currently underserved communities in Washington State. WSAC is one of 13
state arts agencies selected for the Wallace Funds' State Arts Partnerships
for Cultural Participation (START) initiative, a multi-year national
initiative to help state arts agencies enhance and assess arts
participation.  The first year will include training, orientation, outreach
and initial assessment, as well as specific development of the project
components.

At an orientation session in Minneapolis last week, Bitsy and I learned that
factors affecting WSAC's selection included the agency's recently completed
strategic planning process, stable leadership and Legislative commitment to
the agency, as demonstrated by recent funding increases.

The Washington Post's article about the initiative (published April 24) can
be read at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55609-2001Apr23.html.

Thanks to those who wrote letters of support for our application, and all
who have invested in WSAC's strategic planning process.

Kris Tucker, Executive Director
krist at wsac.wa.gov
Phone: 360-586-2423
Fax at 360-586-5351