close the OS

Beck György gbeck at beckground.hu
Sat Apr 21 03:56:32 PDT 2001

Dear Lisa and Joelle and all listening :-)

Thank you for your comments.
There are around 500 members interested to establish some alumni association
and activity. My assumption is 150 to come.

This is also saying, the main topic/question will be around how should the
alumni look like and work. There is a big demand for networking. My plan is
to send out an e-mail with our suggestions for the topic and ask their
suggestions. And from this and then we will create the letter of invitation.

Joelle, you are right, the first thing I want to prevent is - letting them

Let me reflect, what has touched me:

First of all, thank you for your encouragement!! Lisa, it's been a long time
anybody has told me to be proud of me. It has touched my heart a lot. This
is the time when I am not sure of the linguistic and emotional value of the
words. In Hungary these words are told to kids, who first make a good effort
to do something, even if they fail. (Let me say another example: When I
first heard from an American guy in Budapest, that "I will treat you!", I
did not understand the words, so he had to tell me, it means: "I will pay
your bill in the reataurant..." ) So these are my limitations of English and
culture.

>From your suggestions comes to me an idea to make a big "user's guide" for
latecomers with the principles and law and also to suggest to ask from the
others, to help them to join. Unfortunately being late is part of the
"culture", so the voluntary help might work. In the introduction I will
suggest those present, to take care of the latecomers.

Logistics - my idea is to make an ongoing buffet with sandwiches, fruits and
vegetables and beverages and without a formal lunch, though the restaurant
might be open where everybody can buy warm food, if they wish.

In terms of convergence, I like the idea to let only a sample of people talk
about their feeling.
Quite a creative idea - I don't know, how it will work - to let everybody
vote on the topics on the bulettin board and close it by - say - midnight.
And the most important is to let them volunteer to take some responsibility
for whatever they want.

One more question - What do you think about telling them: "The space is
closed by 15:00, but if something is not over, is not over. There is the
time and space for you up till midnight to discuss further, you were engaged
and submit your reports by tacking on the bulettin board."?

Gyuri