Open Space and Memorial Services

CLF2 at aol.com CLF2 at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 21:46:07 PDT 2001

You know, I hope this isn't too off the wall and morbid, but yesterday, my wife and I attended a memorial service for one of her mother and father's friends.  It was pretty typical, in a church, Lutheran prayers, etc.  However, the minister was a bit irrevent about it all and shared some of the humorous personal moments about the departed.  That was the best part of the service, the personal stuff.  Being a former Catholic, I no longer attend Church, nor believe in that type of God, so during the prayer part, my mind wandered.  And it struck me.  Open space would be perfect for a memorial service.  Imagine all the themes those attending could choose to discuss. And imagine the "book of proceedings" the widow or widower could recieve.  What a gift.  Imagine the closing circle, a powerful process indeed, certainly would lift anybody's spirit.  So, just a thought, and also a curiosity.  Am I the only one to think of such a thing, and has it been tried at a memorial service?

Looking forward to your replies