5 Hour OS

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Wed Apr 4 13:48:53 PDT 2001

Hi--
This is my first post to this list. Can someone help me with my first
attempt at something like OS?

A state-wide group of professionals is getting together in two weeks to
talk about things which relate to our profession. It is being advertised as
anything you want to know to improve your practice of your professions, any
problems you are having, anything you need help with.

I would like to apply Open Space principles to the meeting.
Does anybody have any suggestions for setting up the 5 hour conference,
which also includes lunch?

Here are more details:

This is a group of between 15 and 30 people. The best outcome is that each
person takes practical information and ideas that they can use in their
practice immediately. I want it to be the most valuable meeting of the year
for each person.

The group is the Indiana Chapter of the National Speakers Association. The
people attending are professional speakers, which means they may do
keynotes for conventions, or break out sessions, or they might be trainers
in corporations, or even facilitators in all sorts of groups.

The kinds of questions they might have might range from how to set up a
website on the cheap, to what are some good tips for using Power Point
without letting it take over the presentation. In other words, from
marketing to platform skills, from running the business aspects to travel
tips.

My thought right now is that we would have some rather short time frames
for about 4 meetings, since the info and questions should be pretty
specific and easily worked on in 20-30 minute segments. We have a whole
membership e-mail mailing list group, and it would be great to have each
group post its top three ideas to that list a few days after the event. It
is neat, isn't it, how we can extend a meeting by technology?

Two things to work around: so far lunch looks like it is a sit down affair
in another room, but I'm checking to see if we can make it an eat when you
like situation.

Second, we have an afternoon speaker, mid day for about an hour.

                              :-Doug.