Bee keeping - whatever happens is the only thing that could have

loughrey loughrey at nbnet.nb.ca
Sun Apr 1 09:50:30 PDT 2001

In my previous email I described a session with youth and adults where the
question was "How do we increase and strengthen youth/adult collaboration to
improve our community?"  One session posted by the 85 or so year old man was
"beekeeping".  Since his retirement 25 years previously he had been keeping
bees and that was what he wanted to talk about.  I wanted to ask him how
that related to our theme and whether he really thought it was appropriate
for our session, but I managed to control myself, as well as control the
sponsor who was having similar concerns.  I have to admit that I was
somewhat worried that no one would go to this session and the elderly
gentleman would be embarrassed.  Much to my surprise, the session was very
well attended with about 15 to 20 participants, and went so far into the
time for the next session that a convener actually changed his own session
to a later time so he could stay to listen to more about beekeeping.  On the
comments sign posted it was suggested that the next open space be totally on
beekeeping.  I know it was the highlight of the day for many of the youths
and was a real, living example of the mentoring that the O/S was trying to
encourage.  I'm sure (hope) that as a result of that session, he and other
seniors will be invited into the school system to share their stories and
wisdom.  And to think I might have kept that from happening!  Trust the
process!

Carol  Loughrey
Canada