Givens

David Koehler Nsdmk at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 07:40:08 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/25/00 5:48:36 AM Central Daylight Time, jimbo at wfc.com.tw
writes:

<< Too many givens indicates a need to:
 (a)  refine the question/theme so that it is focused enough to operate with
 fewer givens
 (b)  refine the givens or
 (c)  use another method than open space.

 I would love to hear from others how you come up with Theme and Givens.
Like I
 said, this is the "tough part" for me right now, and would enjoy learning
from
 others.

 With respect from Afar,

 Jimbo

 * >>
Jimbo:

I have been trying to seriously focus on "one less thing to do" as I open
space for a group.  This has worked well and has taught me that if I observe
rather than lead, then leadership from within the group has a better chance
to emerge.  So I'm not sure I want to go down the path of constructing
givens, or in any way setting parameters for the group.  What I do though, at
the beginning of each event, is ask the group if the theme is the correct
theme in their minds.  Often one or two words are added or subtracted, giving
more clarity to the theme and more importantly, giving the group ownership.

Thanks,
Dave Koehler