Facilitator training

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 24 22:20:13 PDT 2000

Laurel,
I don't recall a discussion on the dilemma of certification. I do recall a
discussion about standards of Open Space Technology, ethics and integrity
(wholeness).

And now about a new Open Space Technology concept, your admission of
"shameless plagarizing". In some professional circles, this would not be
tolerated. I wonder if it is really what you might want pulled up out of the
archives at some point in the future by someone who might send it elsewhere?

I would like to clarify for the list and for the archives the topic of
"givens" --your slides 64 and 65. You have provided here an excellent
example of what I was raising in my concerns of a few weeks ago of
standards, ethics, and integrity...Or the lack of. In about 1993 (I would
have to look up the correspondence for the exact dates) I introduced the
notion of the "givens" as a critical factor of Open Space Technology. In the
early days of my contribution, Harrison debated and disagreed with me saying
Open Space Technology was bounded by passion and responsibility. Eventually,
"the givens" made it into OST training and practice. In my experience and
knowledge, getting the theme and the "givens" right is critical in a Open
Space Technology event that makes a difference in the organization over the
long haul. If my contributions are to be( in your own words) "shamelessly
plagarized", likely having been translated by Jimbo from our training
together and then to you for further translation by you, I would appreciate
accuracy. For the benefit of those who intend to use your slides in the hope
of great outcomes, I submit to the list and archives (unfortunately I can't
make this right to the many other hundreds who likely now have your
Powerpoint presentation) that when we work with "givens", the "givens" that
need to be determined are the following:
1. purpose of the meeting
2. direction of the meeting
3. laws of the land must be adhered to (which particular pieces of
legislation?)
4. givens pertaining to structure (ie: it is a given that we have a
structure, it is not a given that we retain this specific structure)
5. financial
6. process
7. what is to happen to the information from the meeting (ie: will it be on
a website? will others beyond our organization see it?)
8. how the group will know what has happened in the future as a result of
the meeting via communication or another meeting during which they are
accountable to each other
9. handling of matters of confidentiality for competitive edge/intellectual
property

Every OST faciitator will do this all as he or she interprets and sees fit.
However, when we train others, I believe it is essential that we go back to
the roots. I acknowledge Harrison for his work and then very clearly note
what my addition/or interpretation is so that people have a chance to make
up their own minds about what is Open Space Technology and what is it not.

Birgitt