Story of a 2.5 day Open Space with an Aboriginal Organization

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Mon Sep 18 19:31:26 PDT 2000

Chris;
What a fantastic story (and a great storyteller!!).  Thanks.

Regarding reports: I have not come to grips with a way to capture the
richness of the discussions short of video or audiotaping, which adds a
great deal of complexity and may be a barrier to process (one less thing
being the mantra I have been hearing). A person recently told me of her
frustration at having to spend time entering data in the computer when she
wanted to get to other sessions (our discussion actually ended up being more
revealing about her own patterns of behaviour creating the frustration that
made her go...hmmmm, maybe this is not an open space problem but her
problem - deep learning). This was a time when there was a short time
between the end of the sessions and closing. However, the consistent
feedback that I get is that people appreciate having the summary of
discussions that they can't get too. Whenever someone is recording for a
group, the information is filtered by the perceptions and ability (and
sometimes for me retention of data...gee, I am starting to wonder about my
mental capacity here!!).

I guess the question is, what is the purpose of the reports. I think it is
to highlight the key points of the discussion. The people who participated
will have had the experience of the energy. The names of the "leader" and
participants are listed so that the curious can find out more details. I
have had people who participated read the news wall and suggest a few other
ideas. I encourage them to add to the report so that it is captured in the
proceedings.

Michelle

Michelle Cooper RN, MScN
The Cooper Group Consultants