Community-based OS Leadership Program

Viv McWaters viv at theReef.com.au
Sun Sep 24 17:30:26 PDT 2000

Hello all

I think I'm onto something very exciting but I need the wisdom of this
group to help me, please.

I was recently asked to come up with a proposal for a community leadership
progream in a semi-rural area of Australia. The program started as
Leadership - but has evolved into something like 'building social
capacity'. The purpose of the program is to develop in the community the
skills and abilities to self-manage and lead community organisations - such
as play groups, environmental action groups, parents associations etc etc.
This is in response to a lot of community burn-out, lack of access to
training etc. A key element of the program (which incidently will run for
12 months) is a project that participants implement in their own community,
using and building on the skills they have learnt.

I have proposed that OS underpin the program. Instead of a committee
identifying the content of the program we have a one-day community OS where
the partiocipants themselves explore what they need to build capacity in
the community - and from that, hopefully, will emerge a corte group of
people willing to take this further (using OS as a basis but also
incorporating some specific skills training where its been identified as
impirtant).

I've said my role would be as a coach/mentor - opening spaces where
appropriate and supporting the participants with specifics, support etc.

Has anyone done anything like this before? I'd love to hear your insights.
I've also heard that the sponsor (a Local Govt) thinks this approach
wouldn't work in their community. I believe it will work, but do you have
any suggestions on how I could approach their concerns. I have a meeting
with the sponsor later this week to further discuss the proposal.

Cheers

Viv McWaters

Viv McWaters
Beyond the Edge Pty Ltd
PO Box 665, Torquay 3228
Victoria Australia
Ph/Fax: 61 3 5278 3864

"Thus the task is not so much to see what no-one yet has seen, but to think
what nobody yet has thought about that which everyone sees." Schopenhauer

2.  Sign in and Proceed