A Different Kind of Convergence

Esther . EwingChange at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 19:04:46 PDT 2000

Hi folks:

I am doing a two day open space with finance managers (about 60) from a
telecommunications company. The topic is How Can We Make Finance at "x"
organization a better, more productive place to work?

The idea is to get the middle managers to step up to participating more and
taking more responsibilty. However, the invitation asks them to make
recommendations that the senior finance group (about 10 people) will take and
work with on the third day.

My question is, how can I make the third day meaningful? Anyone have
suggestions for process? I managed to get the senior folk to circulate some
key strategic information to the middle managers that they had not been
given. As well, the context in this organization is that they have just come
through some voluntary separations and none of those folks are to be
replaced. So there are questions to wrestle with like how they can get the
important work done and not still labour on trying to do everything they've
always done? Also how can they do the kind of work that they need to do to
assist the organization meet its goals in ways that makes finance a more
valuable business partner with the rest of the organization.

Any ideas on what I could do on the third day? I've already got them looking
at their 1999 plan to do an assessment on what they planned to do in 99-2000
and what has yet to be done and what will they just not do.

I could really use some suggestions.

Best regards
Esther Ewing