OS case study (Jimbo's convergence)

Rhett Hudson/Chris Weaver rhett&chris at main.nc.us
Mon Sep 18 18:33:10 PDT 2000

Jimbo,

Thank you for this description.  I know I will use it.  I have been puzzled
about the need for the whole group to share, support, & digest action plans
and honor their champions, but I too have found reporting too tiring and
un-Open-Space-ish.  Your model extends the law of two feet and adds an
elegant simple ritual of honoring champions (their bringing their plans to
the center, and supporters standing).  How happy I am to have this one in my
developing convergence toolbox!

Chris Weaver

----------
>From: Jim Clark <jimbo at wfc.com.tw>
>To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>Subject: Re: [OSLIST] OS case study
>Date: Wed, Sep 13, 2000, 5:03 PM
>

> Chris wrote:
>
> How important is it for action groups to report back to the
> circle?  What are the pros and cons of such reporting compared to simply a
> Talking Circle closing?
>

> I had a couple of less than thrilling experiences with the report back process
> was using (the group standing in front of the circle, reading out their
report,
> and then answering questions) and came up with another way that seemed much
more
> productive.
>
> Basically, after finishing their action plans, the champions put them up on
the
> wall around the circle.  They are then free to either look around at the other
> Action Plans, or better yet, bumble bee their way into another group or two.
>
> Before we do the closing circle we ask each of the champions to stand next to
> the action plan of their group with a marker pen.  Others mill about and ask
> questions, make suggestions, offer support, etc.  This goes on for as long as
it
> takes, but so far it has always taken a little less than half an hour.  Once
> that process is finished the Champions come one by one and place their plan in
> the center of the circle, and those that have been or are willing to be a part
> of the process to ensure this plans success are invited to stand.
>
> Once all of the plans are in the middle of the circle, we begin the closing
> circle.
>
> This has worked well when we have a good half day for Acion Planning.
>
> bo

> 2.  Sign in and Proceed

2.  Sign in and Proceed